.

Saturday 8 February 2014

Chitting Potatoes





So it's begun. The seed potatoes have arrived and been diligently put in egg boxes to start the chitting process. Three types of potatoes to be precise. Earlies, second earlies and main. It's a strange sight but fills me with hope and wonderful thoughts of things to come.
 Alongside the potatoes sits my lovely new heated propagator. Not sure if it'll do the trick yet but I guess I'll find out soon enough.
It's been a week of receiving parcels of the practical nature. No perfume, jewelery or clothes for this gal - a lovely new saw to finish pruning the thicker raspberry canes and packets and packets of seeds.


 Yes all my allotment seeds arrived at once in one scrumptious package.



The last photo is a collection of seeds I've been given or have acquired with the numerous magazines I keep buying!

They all look oh so promising but fill me with more than a little trepidation as each one has such specific requirements they are going to take some organizing! The only things left to be delivered are my currant trees and my onion sets.  I can't believe this is really happening. I feel that I am living in a little dream. I don't care that the path to my allotment is so muddy that I nearly lose a welly every time I attempt it. I don't care that I haven't really got the first clue about what I'm doing. It doesn't even matter to me if everyone I know thinks I am completely mad. I am loving every minute of it! :))) If we have dreadful weather all year and nothing grows I still think it'll be worth it - just for this wonderful feeling. I knew I would love it but to be honest I didn't realize how much.

2 comments:

  1. We learned the hard way about potatoes- Andy got sent a starter kit for his birthday last year but he didn't read about the chitting bit (neither of us really had a clue about gardening) and he just shoved it all in the soil...with very little results! So exciting to see all the plans you have to grow things-can't wait to see the progress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your comment. I have sixty seed potatoes all together and am going to put some in the ground and some in bags to see what does best! So far the potatoes aren't doing anything - not sure how long chitting takes?? Will let you know how it goes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...