.

Friday 18 March 2011

Farfield Mill

Out and About


Hello. It's Friday again - nearly weekend and I don't know about you but I'm ready for it. Its been a long week but I'm really enjoying my new adventure in blogging and was very excited to get some lovely comments especially from marmaladerose whose blog I absolutely love. Thankyou to all my readers x
          Last weekend Mr K and I went out and about to Farfield Mill. If you have any interest in textiles, either making or buying and you live within travelling distance of Cumbria, I heartily recommend you do the same. It was a wonderful little trip. The building is beautiful in itself and is full of history as well as contemporary work.


The bottom two floors house traditional looms and an exhibition which shows the history of textiles in the area. During the week the mill is a work place to several designers/makers and on the higher floors you can see working looms, demonstrations and artisans at work. We were lucky enough to see Mr Paul Girling (Greenwood Chairmaker) making cleverly fashioned bespoke chairs using only traditional tools and techniques.







The mill also has textile exhibitions which regularly change and workshops where you can learn a host of skills such as embroidery, rag rugging and spinning. It has wonderfully crammed bookshelves full of textile books and a retail area selling the work of a large range of artists/makers including ceramicists, weavers, felters and knitters.




Mr K and I enjoyed breakfast in the cafe which was adorned with Hannah Nunn's beautiful lamps and I browsed through textile books which were available to be read by anyone who was so inclined. I can't tell you how much I loved the Mill. I could have happily taken up residence in this cosy corner with my knitting.



I will definitely be going back. Have fun whatever you decide to do this weekend and I will see you next week xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...